The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (Windows)

Written by  :  frin (147)
Written on  :  Apr 25, 2001

read more reviews by frin

Summary

More good than bad things

The Good

It was a fantastic idea. I hope Sierra would release another game like that in future (well G.K. III was bad; they made it more action than adventure... and the serie should stay on adventure side). The voice was great quality, images are clear and game is long and complex. There are lots of places to visit and lots of people to meet and trick. The story was really cool. I like those which are not about some weird aliens, but more close to human, more realistic. This game was unreal only about werewolfs (which actually don't exist; or maybe?). It was so good that I had to play it once more and I'm sure I'll do it at least once in future.

The Bad

Bad things were more technical problems. The game is on 6 CD's and it's annoying when you need to change CD's in the middle of the game. They've also fooled it when you need to insert a new CD, play intro animation and then change back to previous CD etc. Also the animations could be a bit more colourful (they're only in 256 colors). And maybe one more thing was annoying. When the speech should begin, it played for a moment somewhere in the middle of it, and then begin the same time with animation normally.

The Bottom Line

It's really great game and I recommend it to everyone who likes adventure games, puzzle solving games and/or watch animations. It has lots of them and they're long. Animations were taken with cameras and were not drawn (only 2 or 3 animations maybe - of many).