The object of the game is to score as many points as possible by swapping adjacent gems to create sets, either horizontal or vertical, of 3 or more identical gems.
Swap any two adjacent gems by clicking on one, then the one you want to swap it with. The gems must be adjacent vertically or horizontally (not diagonally).
You must create a valid set of three or more identical gems with each move, or the gems will revert back to their original position.
Sets can be either horizontal or vertical, and can contain more than 3 gems. When you have successfully created a set, they will disappear and new gems will fall into place, possibly creating a chain reaction or 'cascade' of more sets.
You can also swap gems by clicking on one, then dragging it in the direction you want to swap. This can be faster and more efficient once you're used to it!
You can get a Hint at any time by clicking the purple Hint button on the left-hand control bar. This will cause a gem onscreen to flash briefly, indicating that it can be used to create a set.
However, every time you use the Hint button, you will lose points!
In Timetrial mode, you will also lose several seconds of time.
The Options are accessible from the first game selection screen, or by clicking the Menu button while playing the game. They include:
* Music Volume and Sound Effects: you can adjust these volume sliders separately to fit your preferences. * Fullscreen: If this is checked, Bejeweled Deluxe will use your entire computer screen. If it is not checked, Bejeweled Deluxe will be played in a window. It’s up to you to decide which you prefer. * Custom Cursors: If this box is checked, you will see special custom Bejeweled Deluxe cursors in the game rather than Windows standard cursors. If you have a special theme installed that changes your Windows cursors, you may need to activate this option to see the cursor properly in the game. * Help: This will show you instructions on how to play Bejeweled Deluxe. * High Scores: This will show you your best scores in both normal and timetrial modes.
You can play Bejeweled in either Normal or Timetrial mode. Switch modes by clicking the appropriate button on the left-hand control bar. You will have to abandon your game in progress to switch game modes.
In Normal mode, there is no timer and you can take as long as you like to make each move. The game will end when there are no more available moves.
Every set or cascade you create will cause the Bonus Bar at the bottom of the screen to increment upwards. When the Bonus Bar is full, you will proceed to the next level.
Each successive level increases the value of all sets and combos!
Timetrial mode is for experienced Bejeweled players who want a fast-paced challenge. In Timetrial, the Bonus Bar at the bottom of the screen continually counts down towards zero. When it hits the bottom, your game is over.
You can replenish the Bonus Bar by creating sets and combos. The bigger the combo or cascade, the more the Bonus Bar will be regenerated.
Filling the Bonus Bar will take you to the next level. Sets and combos are worth more on each successive level, but the timer will also count down much faster!
You can press any key to pause the game while playing Timetrial.
- "Diamond Mine" -- Alternate title
- "Bejeweled" -- Browser title
Part of the Following Groups
|Much more than just a 'Tetris'-clone, 'Bejeweled' is a great new take on the whole 'falling blocks' thing.||Entorphane (366)|
|GameSpot||Aug 25, 2005||6.9 out of 10||69|
|WomenGamers.com||Jan 29, 2002||6.7 out of 10||67|
|Freegame.cz||Jun 17, 2003||55 out of 100||55|
There are currently no topics for this game.
SalesBejeweled has consistently been the most popular game on Microsoft's Gaming Zone for 2001, averaging about 18,000 players at any given time.
As of August 2008, Bejeweled and Bejeweled 2 had sold 25 million units since its launch in 2000. At the same time 350 million copies of the trial version had been downloaded.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2002 (Issue #213) – Puzzle/Classics Game of the Year
- May 2005 (Issue #251) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame