Moby Poll: How many game soundtracks do you own?

Beyond Atlantis II (Windows)

Written by  :  Jeanne (75620)
Written on  :  Dec 10, 2001
read more reviews by Jeanne

Summary

A decent adventure, but not the best in the series.

The Good

I have a different opinion about Atlantis 3. Although overall it is not a bad game, it falls far short of being a great one.

My favorite parts of the game include its ..
  • Puzzles
    Random solutions (different for each player) … Easy-to-medium difficulty … The way they are interwoven into the story … Varied types (no color or sound puzzles and no mazes!)
  • Graphic Atmosphere
    Beautifully rendered in 3D … Cut-scenes are gorgeous.
  • Multiple Players
    Five players in your household can be playing the game at the same time.
  • Simple Interface
    Point and click … No limit to the number of saved game slots … Direction cursor “snaps” into position when clicked, eliminating dizziness.
  • Background Music
    Not really a musical “score”, but pleasing to listen to as you’re working the puzzles.
  • The Bad

My No. 1 gripe is in the title itself. This entire series has nothing to do with the city of Atlantis. One of these days, somebody is going to make a game about the real lost city. Until then, I guess we’ll just have to wait.

Just getting the game to run was a chore because of …
  • Out-dated Installation Routine
    The old “Install Shield” Cryo used ran in loops until I disabled “AutoRun”.
  • No Auto-Detect Video Mode
    If you pick the wrong resolution in the “options”, the graphics and sound may stutter, skip or cause a system hang up.

• After getting the game to run, these are the main things I disliked about it:
  • Slow-moving story, at least in the beginning. It did get better further into it.
  • Short and expressionless conversations.
  • No-named main character and villain.
  • Lead character looked cross-eyed during conversations.
  • When non-player characters talk their lips do move, but their mouths have white spaces around the teeth making them appear “added in”.
  • Very few in-game clues for solving the puzzles.
  • Uneventful final ending.
  • The Bottom Line

Don’t get me wrong - Atlantis 3 (aka Beyond Atlantis 2) is not a bad game, but to me it rates only an average score. The story moves along pretty slowly at first, but it does get better as you get deeper into it. You will enjoy the puzzles and the graphical experience, so it’s a worthy purchase.