Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing Trivia (Windows)
CommunityDespite how terrible the game actually is, Big Rigs has actually achieved a cult status among a number of its fans. In the style of Ed Wood's films or Plan 9 from Outer Space, Big Rigs has achieved the "it's so bad it's good" status of many cult phenomenon. A number of fans even formed the BROTRRers, taking the same acronym as the game's title. The highlights of this community include a satirical philosophy (Rigism), ten commandments (Rigmandments) and a Book of Rigism.
Critical receptionThe game Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing received almost universally negative reviews, with many critics referring to it as the worst video game of all time. These are the websites reactions to this game:
- Gamespot: 1/10. Gamespot reviewer Alex Navarro declared that Big Rigs is "so astoundingly bad that it manages to transcend nearly every boundary put forth by some of gaming's absolute worst of the worst and easily makes it into that dubiously extraordinary category of being one of the most atrocious games ever published." Big Rigs received Gamespot's lowest score of 1.0, meaning that their review system doesn't go any lower. In his frightfully bad games special, Alex notes "We don't hand out zeros, but maybe we should have for Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing." Big Rigs was also given GameSpot's "Flat-out Worst Game" award in 2004, despite the fact that the game was actually released in 2003.
- Cheat Code Central: 0.5/5. CCC wrote "Imagine a racing game without a race. There is no time limit to beat and there is no one to race against. So what's the point?"
- Thunderbolt Games: 1/10. Thunderbolt Games states "I wish I could think of some redeeming factors for the game, but there simply aren't any"
- Netjak: 0/10. Netjak had to rewrite their review system in order to give this game a 0.0
- X-Play: -/5. Morgan Webb declared this as the worst game of all time, and was unable to score the game because their system doesn't allow them to give out zeros.
- GameRankings: 4% out of 100%. Big Rigs is GameRankings lowest rated game on their site.
- Metacritic: 8/100. Big Rigs is also this sites lowest rated game.
DevelopmentBig Rigs: Over the Road Racing was originally going to be a game called Midnight Race Club: Supercharged!, which would feature big rigs, trucks, motorcycles, and sport cars to race in along with a "Competition Mode", but while the game was in development, Game Mill Publishing decided that the game would be split into two, Big Rigs and Midnight Race Club, released in pre-alpha state.
Information also contributed by J W.