Black & White (Windows)

Written by  :  Aaron Jones (16)
Written on  :  Dec 17, 2003

read more reviews by Aaron Jones

Summary

Lionhead...what happened with this one?

The Good

To start off on the right foot, I have to say I liked just about everything in this game. "Just about," being the key phrase here. I loved the AI of the creature, how you could treat them however you wanted to, and they learned and evolved by your example. I loved the sound, the graphics, and the complete freedom to be whatever kind of deity you wanted to be. Then, however, there's the ugly.

The Bad

"What is the point?" "What am I supposed to be doing right now?" "I can't remember these blasted controls!" "Where the heck did my creature go?" "Why are my followers such idiots and do nothing for themselves?" were just a few of the comments that left my mouth as I played this game. As someone stated earlier, Lionhead Studios put so much into the AI and the hyping up of the game itself, that they seemed to have forgotten the game aspect of the deal. What I heard of this game during the reviews was enough to blow my mind, and I freely admit, I was skeptical. Upon release, however, my skepticism proved correct. I knew that it would be next to impossible for this game to live up to the hype, and, well...it was. I hope to see a sequel or another expansion soon which deals with these problems, because I'll admit, I played this game for about two weeks and ended up not playing it again because of extreme boredom. Maybe I'll pick it up again and try it out, but for now, I think I'll stick with the Temple of Elemental Evil.

The Bottom Line

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a BAD game. I only want people to be cautious when buying it, that they may shortly grow tired of it. In my personal opinion, I'd wait until Black & White 2 before I would recommend a purchase.