Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Blazing Games (Windows)

Written by  :  piltdown_man (75710)
Written on  :  Jun 23, 2013

read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Suprisingly good value

The Good

Having played a lot of compilations which are just random collections of shareware games it was a pleasant change to play a package which had a consistent look and feel throughout. The graphics of the games here are nothing special but they fit in with the 'retro' look and feel and they are consistent.

Every game had a help file that was understandable, had illustrations and examples, and which made sense. OK so some of the games are simple but even then they were properly explained.

I also liked the variety. There were some arcade clones here and these I found the least appealing, but some of the other games surprised me. Pegopilis is a version of a solitaire game I used to play as a kid and I did not realise that there were so many variants. The African games Wari and Um El Bagara were new to me and were a pleasant surprise. There are some good puzzle games here too, some old ones like Nim and Reversi and many new ones like, Neutron Trails a logic puzzle that had me scratching my head a lot as did Black Box Chess a sort of chess/minesweeper combination.

There's depth here too for example there's a version of Backgammon here that has different starting positions I've not come across before, the two Bulldozer games have sixty levels apiece, and I don't know how many truly different games there are in Adjacent See but the game I played was number 29,424, not bad for a budget title.

The Bad

Oddly I found the fact that all the games play in differently sized windows a nuisance. Don't know why 'coz it does not affect the gameplay but I felt it cheapened the package.

The sounds are nothing special, many of them are the standard beeps that have been borrowed from Windows.

I guess I've been spoiled but I missed an undo feature, true some games allow a single move to be undone but it's not enough - at least it's not enough for me. In a similar vein I like a game of patience to tell me that there are no more valid moves, if it's not solvable I'd like to know. I play games to pass the time, not to waste it.

There are a few weak games here, the world does not need any more Concentration, Tic Tac Toe or Connect Four games, on which subject I found the Tic Tac Toe 3D and Make4-3D to be both very similar and games in which it was a bit difficult to position the pieces.

Finally, there's really only forty-nine games here because one of the 'games' is actually a level editor for Bulldozer.

The Bottom Line

For a budget title this is a decent mix of games . There's some that are familiar, some that are traditional but may well be new to you, some that have been made up but still work as games. There's puzzles to solve on your own and games to play against the computer.