Solomon's Key for the NES was released in Japan on this day in 1986.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (Windows)

Mature
Written by  :  Ajan (261)
Written on  :  Aug 01, 2004
Rating  :  4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars

read more reviews by Ajan

Summary

Epic tale of revenge, blood and vampires.

The Good

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is a great product but I don't think it is that widely known. Yet this game possesses so many advantages which are so rare in these days. The best thing in BOLOK is its atmosphere. Player really impersonates with Kain and goes through his journey just like the main hero. But equally good thing (if not even better) is what player hears from speakers. Music is (apart from the soundtrack from Final Fantasy VII) the best music from a computer game I have ever heard. It perfectly reflects what is going on on the screen and changes in proper situations so that player can feel the game without any problem. Dialogues are masterpieces too. Actor playing Kain should get an Oscar for his acting. The medieval, English voice whose intensity changes depending on the situation fits this game just great. Another advantage is plot which isn't trivial but created with a great sense of adventure. It can be a good base for a small story or maybe even a book.

The Bad

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is today an old game. Back then when it was released on PCs the graphics did not shock. That doesn't mean the game was bad. Today however it simply looks rather ugly. Another disadvantage could be the linearity of its story - player cannot affect the situation in any way but I don't think it disturbs the game that much. Another thing is BOLOK's legacy from its Playstation version. I am talking about saves. PC users are used to save whenever they like and here they have to wait for the save point (called the save altar).

The Bottom Line

If archaic graphics is not a problem to you I strongly recommend Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. You will know what is a great story, music and sounds and you will have a great pleasure from its storyline.