Call of Duty (Windows)

Written by  :  Jason Appleby (8)
Written on  :  Jul 28, 2004
Rating  :  3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars

read more reviews by Jason Appleby

Summary

Addictive arcade style shooter that is sure to satisfy

The Good

The strength of this game is that it knows what is is and what it isn't; there is no identity crisis here. COD is not a simulation demanding meticulous planning and squad tactics. It does not ask you to navigate across vast landscapes, or sneak around at night undetected. This games drops you into the thick of the action, with bullets whizzing past your head and team mates yelling and dying around you. The developers have devoted every aspect of this game to atmosphere, and have succeeded in creating an amazing feel. Even the way you move and fire your weapons just feels right, and your enemies react in realistic ways. You'll soon notice that this game is heavily scripted and linear, but is so well done that you rarely feel ripped off. Clever level design adds to the satisfaction. Just when you start to get bored they switch your character to the British or Russian army, and begin a new story. The opening Russian mission is brilliant, you'll love it. Also this game is great at lan parties, bring it on!

The Bad

Not much! Personally I enjoy more tactical games and the linear approach began to wear thin after a while. I don't appreciate enemies spawning endlessly until I cross the next trigger, making the game awfully predictable at times. Perhaps my main complaint about this game though is that they have no bots in MP. A map gets pretty lonely if only me and 3 mates are in it.

The Bottom Line

Play this game you won't be disappointed