Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now (Windows)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Aug 07, 2001

read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

A bit different than the first... except for the mass carnage...

The Good

This review has been updated on August 7, 2001. I have now played this game on a machine that can handle the game. So my review is a bit different.

Call me crazy Tomer, but I love the Carmageddon series. As in the first, there is something about crashing cars and running over pedestrians/animals, etc. that I like.

The gameplay (as in the original) is simple... win at all and any cost. There are a few major differences between C2 and it's predecessor.

First off, Instead of ranks, you progress through Levels, and each level having 3 courses and 1 Mission scenario. You progress through each race, and the fourth race is a mission. For instance, in one level you have to jump from rooftop to rooftop destroying satelitte antennas. In another, you have to run over 22 specific pedestrians (they are escaped mental ward patients). Personally I believe it adds a bit of purpose to the game... And you can't progress in the game until you complete the special mission on each level. (and for the record, the pedestrian one is a pain in the ass).

Instead of earning cars, you buy them. Makes for interesting races.

Upgrades are no longer handled in-between races. Now, upgrades are done on-the-fly (similar to repairs in the previous game).

The new tracks are on average with the original, with the exception of the "county fair" level. You can do ton of trick in that one, and it's great in multiplayer.

The graphics (on my PIII 1gz) are really good. They are crisp and clear, although the wheels aren't quite round shape (more like octagonal.. shows the signs of an aging graphics engine). The graphics are real nice. And the addition of newer, larger areas is a much needed change from the first one.

The sound is ok... Personally I don't really care for either Iron Maiden or Sentience, so I shut the music off. The ambient sounds are more varied, so you don't hear the same AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGHH! scream over and over again when you flip and stuff.

The controls (at least on the keyboard) are pretty loose, and it takes a bit of getting used to.

The Bad

There isn't a lot that I don't like about the game. Sure it's repetitive, but that's cool

The Bottom Line

If your a fan of the First, you'll love it. If the game's title alone gives you the heebie-jeebies, you'll hate it. But in either case, I believe it to be a solid non-sim driving game.