Civilization II (Multiplayer Gold Edition) (Windows)

Written by  :  David Ledgard (63)
Written on  :  Feb 18, 2005
read more reviews by David Ledgard

Summary

Upgrade for Civ II with better AI, lots of scenarios and scenario editor.

The Good

Civ II Gold is an upgrade for the Classic Civ 2. It contains all the scenarios from Conflicts in Civilization and Fantastic Worlds. Plus the easy to use graphical Scenario Editor from Fantastic Worlds. It also has better AI with powers being more hostile to you and more cities seem to fall. You also get a more detailed terrain report when you click on terrain. Engineers also appear to work faster at terraforming. The Computer reports casualties, and has a casualty time-line saying the date your unit died, which city it belonged to and which power destroyed it. Requires original Civ II CD to be in drive at all times.

Civ II Gold is no longer commercially available but can be downloaded from the link provided. Download all 6 patches, Unzip them and copy all the files into your C:/mps/civilization directory.

I think they should bring out a Civ II Platinum Upgrade with new best-of-the-net scenarios and better AI. Some people just can’t get on with Call to Power and Civ III, myself included.

The Bad

If you ‘zoom to casualty window’ it won’t close again while other powers are moving. Very annoying! You can’t see if you’re being attacked.

The highly intelligent GO command now takes a unit straight to its destination instead of showing you its progress. I prefer the old way.

The Bottom Line

I highly recommend getting this upgrade. A must have for every Civ II Fan.