Crysis (Windows)

Written by  :  dorian grey (245)
Written on  :  Nov 17, 2007
Rating  :  4.43 Stars4.43 Stars4.43 Stars4.43 Stars4.43 Stars

read more reviews by dorian grey

Summary

fun and interesting

The Good

I played it on hard difficulty and the gameplay was actually quite good and presented a decent challenge, at least in the beginning. You can pick a number of approaches to any of the open-ended areas. Things are sometimes spiced up by including enemies with suits similar to your own. The first time they appeared and surprise you, you're forced into a difficult close-combat battle, while in the rest of the encounters you can pick them off from afar.

The game feels very Hollywood-ish. Heck, it's better than Hollywood. You're the wearer of an exclusive "muscle nano suit" working for the US government and your squad consists of the typical action macho men and it really feels like a highly interactive movie that just lasts and lasts.

Oh right, and the graphics. Well, they're great. I had to play on low settings so I didn't get to appreciate them fully, but even I could see that there's tons of detail everywhere in houses, outside,... Crysis really takes things to a new level. It's a shame that the terrain isn't more destructible. Of course the super detail and huge levels means this will never run on consoles, but that's a small price to pay.

The Bad

The AI is not so great. Although they continue shooting if you turn cloak mode on in front of them, if you turn a corner and then turn it on they lose you easily. You can (as I have) take out entire bases like this; unhide-shoot-hide-cloak repeat until nobody comes out any more. Works best without the silencer so the entire base can hear you and come rushing. And no, they never learn. Similarly you can shoot someone at a machine-gun nest and another will man it, and they repeat this until they are all dead. They don't move in group or anything like that, unless you encounter a patrol, which is easy to get around since the areas are so open.

You can't move bodies or anything like that to avoid alerting others, and in fact the bodies themselves disappear after a minute or so. I suppose that's necessary since you're killing tons of Koreans and having a huge pile of them would be somehow absurd.

When you finally get to shoot aliens,... all your weapons and mods are taken away. Ugh. That meant I had hoarded all those granades, HE ammo etc just to have it disappear in the middle of the game? Wow, thanks for that wonderful game mechanic. They even take away my favourite gun, the Gauss rifle.

The game can be a bit too Hollywood-ish at times. Watch the opening scene in the demo and if you don't roll your eyes, you should be fine on the rest.

The Bottom Line

Crysis can be very fun if you enjoy the sanbox playstyle, or if you enjoy action movies. It manages to merge high quality productions with good if not revolutionary gameplay into a great cinematic experience.