CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Windows)

Written by  :  MAT (71132)
Written on  :  May 09, 2004
Rating  :  4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars

read more reviews by MAT

Summary

Well done script, captures major interest.

The Good

I really wasn't expecting too much of this game, more to the fact I found TV show rather boring and not much interesting. So what I really expected top is that perhaps I'll enjoy a little detective work more or less. What I really didn't expect is that it turns out to be such a masterpiece with really devious plot and extremely interesting cases. Needless to say, perhaps, this game alone captured my interest enough to start watching the series. You meet all the crew from the case, as each of them accompanies you through one of the five cases. What starts as a simple murder investigation turns out into much more intricate and intriguing puzzles to solve. The music isn't playing too often but fits perfectly with the CSI alike setting, reminding of great detective/crime shows like Silk Stalkings or Tropical Heat. A game haven't captured my interest ever since my sleepless nights over FF8 and TBW, only this game isn't long enough to dwell more than a single night over it, no matter it spans on three compact discs. The voice cast is same as in the series, which plays a plus for me as I really like Marg Helgenberger (hey, personal taste, I know, but I think she's awesome). The game isn't just trying to show if perfect crime may go unpunished, but also that gathering clues, no matter how truthful they may seam, may lead to imprisoning an innocent person. I know, that was not what they were trying to do, but it turned out really good, and interesting in a poetic kinda way. And what's best, you don't need no cd if you select the full install.

The Bad

This is really one of rare games that I don't find a single speck to rub it on, it is so brilliant in its simplicity and so much interesting to undergo.

The Bottom Line

CSI features:
  • five interesting cases to solve, varying in type and style
  • great script entertwining all the cases, and giving you twists and turns you'd last expect
  • voice-acting by the case from the original series
  • easy going puzzles that mostly require a hawkeye, and when the going gets tough, the tough gets going by a little help of your partners
  • the use of all the itzy-bitzy artifacts to find even the smallest fragment of a clue, and interrogating the suspects
  • searching for clues instead of the truth, you don't get to see the court or prosecution of any kind, you're just in here for the clues... though they may sometimes be misleading