DescriptionDeath to Spies is a third-person shooter with a focus on stealth. The story is told as a series of flashbacks by captain Semion Strogov during an interrogation in the early fifties. He used to be part of SMERSH, a counterespionage group in the Soviet Union, set up to counter German infiltration and to track down traitors during World War II. The missions are largely based on real operations.
Prior to each mission, the player assembles a kit of weapons, grenades, chloroform, a choke cord, a health kit, ammo and other items. Semion can also search dead bodies during the game for new weapons. It is possible to play the game as a regular shooter, but that course is hardly ever rewarded. Instead, Semion has to sneak around, take out enemies silently and remain undetected. Enemies react to sounds and what they see. There are different states of alertness and the player can watch their viewing direction on an overlay map to plan the actions. One of the safest ways to move around is to take the clothes of an enemy officer. To have the disguise work, Semion must be sure the body cannot be found, there can't be blood on the uniform, he has to carry the correct weapon, and he can't walk to close to other officers or they recognize he's not a colleague.
Missions are set in locations such as villages, cities, a prison, a hotel, ... with different objectives such as stealing documents, freeing a prisoner of war, or killing a traitor. Almost any vehicle can be driven and these include motorcycles, jeeps and trucks.
- "Смерть шпионам" -- Russian spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
|IGN||Nov 26, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Vortex||Nov 11, 2007||80 out of 100||80|
|Game Over Online||Nov 20, 2007||78 out of 100||78|
|Game Chronicles||Feb 01, 2008||7.7 out of 10||77|
|GameZone||Nov 09, 2007||7.5 out of 10||75|
|GameSpot||Oct 16, 2007||7 out of 10||70|
|Chief||Oct, 2007||7 out of 10||70|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Sep 21, 2007||14 out of 20||70|
|Shooterplanet||Dec 17, 2007||63 out of 100||63|
|GameStar (Germany)||Oct 31, 2007||41 out of 100||41|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Help at mission 9||3||JudgeDeadd (10856)
Feb 21, 2009
|No vision cones?||3||JudgeDeadd (10856)
Feb 13, 2009
AccuracyThe missions and their background are largely based on real historical events of WW2. For example, one of the target persons in mission #5 (Paycheck), Major Andreas Meyer-Mader and the reason he should be killed.
CensorshipThe English localized version is censored. There are no pictures of real Nazi leaders and no swastikas, although this is not forbidden in the USA or the UK.
ReferencesOne of the target persons in mission #6 (Project Y) is Professor Charles Brown. This might be a reference to the famous cartoon character Charlie Brown from Peanuts.
Related Web Sites
- Death to Spies (Official game website)
- Death to Spies - Wikipedia (article about the game in the open encyclopedia)
- MoTmod (This mod combines the "Death to Spies" and its sequel "Death to Spies: Moment of Truth". So you can play all 17 missions from both games under the enhanced version of the engine from the sequel.)
- Official Forum (The official forums for the game, hosted by the publisher, 1C.)
- Unofficial Death to Spies Enhancement Addon (The Death to Spies Enhancement Addon is a hybrid of an unofficial patch and an improvement mod. The goal of the addon is to improve gameplay, ambiance, and atmosphere. Improvements include decensoring the game (textures and blood), bugfixes (texts, textures, scripts), optimization (visual, aural, textual, and gameplay/scripting), simplification (gameplay).)