Current MobyGoal: On our way to 3,500 documented Amiga games!

Descent II (Windows)

Teen
Written by  :  Lord Matthias (18)
Written on  :  Apr 13, 2002

read more reviews by Lord Matthias

Summary

A great FPS with a cool twist!

The Good

Most of all I like the fact that I picked up this nifty game at EBGames for only $4. The gameplay of Descent 2 is similar to that of a different first person shooter, but the flying controls are awesome. For example, you can flip your ship upside-down and fly around using the ceiling as the floor and vice versa. There are many different powerups in this game, including homing missiles, afterburner, and plasma laser add-on. There are five levels of difficulty, but I usually play on the lowest setting. The best part about this game is the diverse selection of enemies. You might expect them all to to the same thing- shoot you, right? Actually, there are many different enemy jobs; one critter steals you weapons, others send out little drones to attack you, and some enemies try to draw you away from the area.

The Bad

This game is pretty difficult, and hard to get the hang of. The default keyboard controls seem to require three hands to use, but this can be fixed by changing them. Also, I wish that there was more of a storyline to this game.

The Bottom Line

All in all, Descent 2 is a fairly good first person shooter. I would recommend it to any action/fps fan who is looking for a change of pace and does not mind a "grab the key and leave" style gameplay.