Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition (Windows)

4.2
Written by  :  weregamer (157)
Written on  :  Oct 14, 2003
Rating  :  4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars4.67 Stars

read more reviews by weregamer

Summary

An incredibly good blend of first-person action with role-playing decisions and story

The Good

The story and characters were interesting and dramatic. Despite the FPS appearance and intensity, it wasn't a battle of my dexterity against the computer's processing speed. The ability to explore an environment and devise your own solution to problems really helped make the game world feel real. I don't know how much a real twitch junkie would like this game, but it amazed me with how much fun I was having.

The Bad

The final area still has the rather steep increment in difficulty traditional to the FPS genre. Some of the areas were too obviously laid out with three paths - one for stealth, one for object manipulation, and one for direct combat. Some conversations that boiled down to moral/role-playing decisions only gave two (generally extreme) choices instead of several to cover the moral spectrum

The Bottom Line

The closest thing to world simulation I've seen in an actual game yet. Arguably the best, and certainly one of the ten best, computer games I've ever played - and I've been playing them since the mid-70s.