Deus Ex (Windows)

Written by  :  Marko Poutiainen (1148)
Written on  :  Jan 23, 2005
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars

read more reviews by Marko Poutiainen

Summary

Simply the Best Game Ever

The Good

This is simply my favourite game of all time. It's hard to find anything wrong with it, I have never finished any other game more than once - I've played Deus Ex through three times, last time about six months ago. Sure the graphics are getting a little outdated, but they still work and there are still very few games with such a good script.

What I particularly like is the way you can play this game in a multitude of ways and usually there are several ways of completing something. You can almost completely avoid combat, for instance, if you want. The skills and augmentations you select can also make a very different gaming experience. But the most important thing is still the atmosphere and feel of immersion (of being there). In these ares, Deus Ex is unparalleled to other games.

The level design is probably the best one I have come across in any 3D game. This game has several of my all time favourite levels such as Hell's Kitchen, Hong Kong and Paris.

The Bad

There are maybe two or three levels that could be a tad better - during the third time through I was a bit bored by them! Enemy AI is of standard FPS level, i.e. it's quite easy to confuse it.

The Bottom Line

Superb level design combined with a good story and gameplay and an unrivalled atmosphere makes this more of an experience than just a game.