Dink SmallWood (Windows)

3.1
Written by  :  Joakim Kihlman (270)
Written on  :  May 27, 2004
read more reviews by Joakim Kihlman

Summary

freeware budget version of Zelda

The Good

This game is in many ways similar to good old Zelda on NES. It's an isometric action/adventure with some rpg elements. The gameplay is simple but fun. Walk around, beat monsters in the head with your sword and complete quests in order to gain equipment and experience. The main difference between Zelda and Dink is that Dink is filled with humor. This is not a serious quest for fame. This is a goofy quest for who-cares-what, and suits me fine. I usually have a hard time accepting the pompous feeling that most rpg's have. There's none of that here, I can assure you. Also, it's fun to punch the heads off the poor innocent little ducks. The best thing about this game, though, is that it is free for everyone to download since the developers have released it as freeware.

The Bad

This game is quite fun, in the beginning. After a while, though, it gets horribly repetitive. The graphics aren't very good. In fact, I didn't like the graphics at all. The story isn't very good and after a while you stop caring whether the silly little Dink survives or not. I didn't even finish the game. I lost interest completely halfway through. As a last point I think it's appropriate to issue a warning. Although I like the fact that the game is trying to be humorous, I don't like the actual humor. The game just isn't very funny, just awfully geeky.

The Bottom Line

If you're looking for a simple action/adventure this is worth checking out since it's free.