Moby Poll: How many game soundtracks do you own?

Dune 2000 (Windows)

3.5
Written by  :  Brian Hirt (10014)
Written on  :  Oct 28, 1999

read more reviews by Brian Hirt

Summary

A disappointing update to one of my favorate games.

The Good

Okay, before I start the bashing let me say this: Dune II is a great game, and this is basically Dune II. That's also the problem with this game. The game doesn't suck, but when compared to it's ancestor there not much else to say about it.

The Bad

Okay, they spent all of the time updating the sound and graphics and doing nice cut scenes -- why didn't they spend some time fixing the interface and some things like the path finding abilities of the units. It's 1992 AI in a 1998 game. I expected more and got much less.

I found the game very boring and hard to keep with. The missions were exactly the same as the original down to the most minor detail. All the work put into this game was obviously cosmetic. With all the advances in the last 6 years I was hoping for something... more... fun. If I grasp for an analogy, I would say that I wanted the Civ II of Civ and all I got was Dune II.

The Bottom Line

If you have never played Dune II, I recommend that you get this game. It's basically Dune II for Windows. While this game doesn't improve on the original, you're less likely to be disappointed if you've never played the first one.