Dungeon Keeper 2 (Windows)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19699)
Written on  :  Mar 06, 2004

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

It's GOOD to be BAD!

The Good

Oh no! Another 3D game! I hate 3D games! Uh...hey wait a minute...this one's actually playable...hmm and no bugs either. Wow, if they managed to make a 3D game without bugs...then boy it's worth a try!

For some stupid reason, I thought Dungeon Keeper had to do with Dungeons and Dragons...which is why I bought it in the first place. Although I should've known from all the hints and clues starting from those 2 idiots on the cover art...ah...some mistakes turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

This is the first kind 3D RTS I've played. Some idiot on another review said this is a C&C clone? Either he's never played C&C or didn't pay close attention, or I'm the one who's blind. Either way, unlike C&C, in this game you actually welcome any additional difficulty or additional enemies that come knocking on your door - Bring it on!

A lot of RTS games are quite irritating when if comes to difficulty. To them (C&C, AOE, etc.), difficulty has to do with the enemies starting with additional resources, but less on actually difficult AI. In Dungeon Keeper 2, you don't have to worry about sudden sneak attacks early on the game that suddenly flattens your empire.

This game is all about tactics and strategy in the pure sense. In this game, your more of a "governor" than a military chief. Like other RTS, its a combination of building prowess and military might. Most RTS's focus on military might where buildings are just a means to an end. In Dungeon Keeper 2, its the other way around. Military might is mediocre compared to the importance of buildings. Your survival practically depends on your analytical mind of arcitectual engineering. You have to plan and place rooms as if your were a city planner. You have to maintain a balance of the various different rooms (buildings) you build that will eventually support your hellish armies. You can create various traps and defenses to defend your domain from enemy attack, while commanding your own troops to do what they were payed to do. The good thing about attacking in this game, you don't have to watch your troops 100% of the time. For some strange reason, I'm not complaining that I don't have full control over my troops...this coming from a military control freak. They must've done something good.

Another thing is that in relation to the story line (which isn't bad but needs work), I've discovered that there are bonus units you can have. Like priests and Dark Angels. Unfortunately for my IQ level, I failed to get them, but the game continues. So I had it a little difficult compared to those who followed the plot.

Last but not least, the game has a positive...er evil sense of humor. I really love that torture chamber. The cut scenes are so funny! My favorite is the monster using chickens as a double stick.

The Bad

Well, once in a while, I would wish for smoother graphics as those goblins and imps look kinda weird sometimes. But that would mean an introduction to whole hell of bugs, so I'm happy regardless.

I think the tutorial or certain special abilities need further explanation. It took me forever to find out you could actually convert enemies without killing them in the torture chamber. No one told me you had to heal them! Why would anyone want to heal a prisoner while he's being tortured? Little things like that would be nice to know.

The FPS (Possessed Mode) is kinda awful, playable but if you don't have to, don't use it. That's probably what the developers had in mind in the first place...wouldn't want to change the game more exiting as a FPS than an RTS.

The Bottom Line

You know, having horns may not be a bad idea...