Written by  :  kbmb (435)
Written on  :  Apr 05, 2003
Rating  :  2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars

read more reviews by kbmb

Summary

New quests, new monsters, new journal, same bad gameplay.

The Good

They fixed that damned journal! Though I'm still pissed they didn't fix that with a PATCH like they should have.

New monsters and dungeons were interesting. I suppose if you enjoyed Morrowind, you'll enjoy this. "A hundred more hours of gameplay" they say. I admit, I didn't get very far in the expansion.

The Bad

Just about everything that was bad (except the journal) in Morrowind is just as bad in this game. They didn't improve gameplay at all. Not a bit. The game is still remarkably easy, the quests are still of the same variant ("go here, kill them" or "go here and talk to this guy").

Multiplayer would have been an interesting addition, but on a game like this, that seems impossible.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the number one reason why I dislike this expansion; the fact that it's a retail expansion. One of the biggest selling points (not that I needed one - I would have paid any amount of money for Morrowind...that is, before I played it and realized what a bad game it was) for Morrowind was that you could download and install ANY kind of mod imaginable with little to no hassle whatsoever. They even promised that they'd be releasing free mods all the time to download. They didn't break this promise...however, the official mods available for download are small, pathetic mods. And then they bring us this, this much larger mod...but not large enough for me to shell out thirty bucks for it. No, Bethesda, this is an even bigger insult than Morrowind. It would be like traveling to some starving country and promising them food, only to bring them rotten apples. And then to offer them some nice juicy steak - if they're willing to pay for it.

Bah!

The Bottom Line

If you hated Morrowind, this expansion won't improve it enough for you to enjoy it. If you liked Morrowind and want some more of it, you'll enjoy this.