🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion > Perspective

DreinIX (10446) on 12/24/2007 9:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I got three games in mind right now but I'll only buy one of course (unless...whatever). Elder Scrolls is my let's say priority but I won't buy it unless someone who has played this tells me about a small detail. The game has a 1st-Person Perspective and a 3rd-Person Perspective. You can change these at will right? Cause I really can't imagine having to play an RPG in 1st person perspective.

Donatello (466) on 12/24/2007 10:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Yup, you can. 3rd-Person Perspective sucks tho.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/24/2007 10:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks. By saying that it sucks I assume you mean in that particular game. If it doesn't affect the controls or the gameplay I don't think it's that much of a problem though.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/24/2007 11:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] If it doesn't affect the controls or the gameplay I don't think it's that much of a problem. though. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

The way 3rd person was realized in Oblivion it does affect nearly everything. The combat lacks fluidity, sneaky parts are difficult to control etc.

Bu most importantly -- it looks very poorly due to lack of decent animation, it's painful to look at your protagonist in his jerking, nervous movements and, for god's sake, don't jump.

Try to play in 1st person at least for sometime. Maybe it'll change your mind about that perspective in general. Your avatar in Oblivion doesn't mean so much, he doesn't talk he doesn't move nicely so it's not that important if you can't see him.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/24/2007 8:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually for some reason I don't seem to have any problems with 1st-person perspective in adventures (the ones you mostly use the mouse) and shoot 'em ups but I can't imagine playing an RPG in 1st-person perspective. I really have to see the character I'm controlling. To me that feeling is like playing Tomb Raider in 1st-person perspective (if it had) and not being able to see Lara's "backside" (or frontside). The game may still be good but I (we) wouldn't enjoy it the same. Any objections?

Seems like I'll go with my second option or maybe the third which will cost less money by now. BUT before doing it maybe I'll check any reviews to see if this problem changed in the PS3 edition.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/24/2007 10:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Oblivion is a must-play game, regardless of your platform and choice of perspective. However, it should be noted that TESIV owns much of its popularity to being one of the most immersive games ever created. That major aspect of the game will be somewhat hindered if played in third person.

And it's not the same as playing TR in 1st-perspective, since in Oblivion your character is not as important (it's you, actually, so you know everything about him already) and it doesn't require you to do some inane jumping exercises.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/25/2007 7:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Actually I wouldn't care that much if I could buy it for PC because there is a major difference in prices (around 30€ the one and if-I'm-lucky around 60€ the other). Unfortunately I'll have to buy it for the PS3 cause my PC doesn't meet the requirements.

P.S. Even if it's not important, if you choose your avatar at the beginning of the game, I'll probably stay for 10 hours in my TV screen trying to figure out how I'll make him look like.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/25/2007 10:39 AM · Permalink · Report

Considering it's Oblivion we're talking about, it's safe to say that you're going to spend additional 10 hours trying to actually make him look like you have envisioned.

Someone said that in Oblivion it's not about making the avatar look good, it's only about making him suck less.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/25/2007 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Envisioned? I'll have to see the available options first and then decide. And at times I can be as indecisive as a woman at a shop with clothes who tries everything and at the end buys nothing. Well, I'll probably make at least five different assuming that I can have at least five separate files.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/26/2007 1:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] I'll have to see the available options first and then decide. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

You're in for a world of surprise. ;-)