DescriptionEntropia Universe is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in the far future, where dangers, wonders and opportunities lie behind every corner. The game world is divided into multiple planets that the players can visit, each with their own theme:
- Planet Calypso - this is the original planet that Project Entropia started with back in 2003. It has a sci-fi theme where the humans are in the early stages of colonizing an alien world. Upstart cities, outposts and forts dot a surface rich in minerals and wildlife. Meanwhile, a powerful faction of robots is seeking to undermine the settlers' efforts and take over the planet for themselves.
- ROCKtropia - this music/Hollywood-themed planet has been hit by a vicious virus that makes the dead rise from their graves. The streets of Zomhattan are now infested with zombies and thugs seeking to capitalize on the helpless people. Besides horror-themed locations and monsters, there have been several instances of merging media franchises: in the Arctic region, players can do a series of missions called Hunt the THING, inspired by The Thing movies, as well as chase and kill a recently reanimated King Kong as part of an organized event.
- Next Island - a resort planet that was designed by scientists on Earth as a kind of serene utopia. The colonization is relegated to a group of robots guided by a handful of humans. The project goes awry, however, as most of the first wave of colonists lose contact with the robots. Next Island is not as focused on combat as the other planets; it also offers the opportunity to time travel to Ancient Greece.
- Planet Arkadia - a distress signal launched by a mysterious alien race reached Earth. The scientists of our planet deciphered the message and found out that they called themselves the Arkadians and were being wiped out by the Oratan. Humanity organized a rescue mission, but once they reached the planet, they found only ruins. This world is focused on treasure hunting--the dilapidated structures of this once great civilization hide rare artifacts and wealth beyond imagination. In the background there's a battle raging between the Imperial Federal Navy and the descendants of the Oratan, who seek to drive the newly arrived off the planet.
- Planet Cyrene - a world torn by different factions, such as the native Zekkonians and Turrelions, or the Imperium and the rebel Acacia Rebirth Corps. There is an ancient Roman and tribalistic theme mixed with sci-fi here. Players can choose to help a specific faction, while also facing the xenophobic feelings of others. At the time of release it was unique for its PvP arenas.
- Monria - a Cthulhu Mythos-inspired planet.
- Planet Toulan - a desert planet with an Arabian theme going on. After being destroyed in a nuclear war 600 years ago, it's now being steadily recolonized by the Insians, the original inhabitants of this world.
There are several ways to spend time and make money in Entropia Universe. The main ones are:
- Hunting - killing mobs using ranged or melee weapons. There is a chance that these monsters or robots will drop loot. Multiple players can form teams in order to confront high-level mobs.
- Mining - the players use a finder to detect deposits in the ground. Every use depletes a specific amount of survey probes, depending on the finder. Once a deposit is found, it's possible to extract it using an excavator. There are two main types of resources: ores and enmatter. Both can be refined into different types of materials. On planet Arkadia players can also find treasure besides the usual resources.
- Sweating - gathering sweat from nearby creatures. This requires the equipping of VSE Mk1 and pointing it at a monster; robots and mutants don't generate sweat.
- Walking - stones, fruits and dung can be spotted if the player avatar moves slowly. The only thing left to do then is to pick them from the ground.
- Manufacturing or crafting - this is done via a construction bench, but first a blueprint of the final item is needed, and then the required material components as well. Players can obtain materials from the other activities in the game. The crafting process doesn't always end up with a success--a complete failure expends the materials and leaves the players with nothing.
- Trading - this can be done either face to face, or via the auction house, however listing an item in the latter requires a fee.
- Missions - the equivalent of quests in most MMORPGs, sometimes the rewards for completing them are ammo or items, others give skill points, some of them may have nothing to offer.
People with spaceships can travel between the planets of Entropia Universe, and they can also take passengers to their destinations, however every player starts on a planet of choice and is unable to freely visit the other worlds at the beginning, unless of course they are willing to part with some PEDs.
- "Project Entropia" -- Original title
- "Planet Calypso" -- Title since August, 2009
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|MMOhut||Sep 26, 2010||80|
|Softonic||Aug 02, 2006||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaOn 12 December, 2004, a full virtual island of 6000 acres was sold. Through an in-game auction, players were able to bid on their own island. The ownership gives many privileges, such as a unique castle, taxation rights and income from the sale of land lots. The final bid was 265 000 PED (26 500 USD, in-game money can be bought with a credit card).
This looks like a crazy investment for virtual property, but by selling land, there is massive revenue potential, as PED can be exchanged for USD as well. Unless of course they pull the plug on the servers next month :)
Related Web Sites
- Entropia Stratics (Site with general information, news and forums.)
- Project Entropia (Official Project Entropia website, game can be found as download here.)