Escape from Monkey Island (Windows)

Written by  :  El-ad Amir (110)
Written on  :  Jan 31, 2001
Rating  :  3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars3.83 Stars

read more reviews by El-ad Amir

Summary

A wonderful game, and yet a terrible disappointment

The Good

There's no such thing as "Monkey Island" without the excellent music. This time, the original MIDI theme got escorted by a full orchestra- including trumpets and drums. It's a pleasure just to hear the game... The character's voices are wonderful, with each character having a unique accent which adds a new layer of personality.

And, of course, there are the jokes- there's nothing I can say about them... They're there, they're nice (not very original, but nice) and that's about it.

The Bad

It's a lethel dose of Monkey Islandlessness... There are many qoutes and ideas that got ressurected from the original Secret of Monkey Island, and I simply don't feel it's a new game. I meet the same characters who has the same jokes (Carla and Otis?! C'mon...) I've the same opponents and the same challanges.
Another problem is the new point of view. The game has an odd, isometric 3rd person perspective, and the controls are odd and uncomfortable, resembling Alone in the Dark. Personally, I prefer using the mouse to point and click like a normal person, rather than running around with bowls of pretzels.

The Bottom Line

Or like I said to my friends- Monkey Island 5 will be...
Holocaust on Monkey Island - The First Person Shooter