Evil Days of Luckless John (Windows)

2.4
Written by  :  tomimt (339)
Written on  :  May 27, 2010
Rating  :  2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars2.17 Stars

read more reviews by tomimt

Summary

Badly written and unfunny

The Good

if there's one aspect that works well in "Evil Days of Luckless John", it is the game mechanics itself. The controls are responsive and even the car driving scenes work pretty well.

Other thing I really liked about the game are the graphics. As they are cartoon like in style, the quality of art works pretty well even today's standards and isn't as badly aged as some older 3D-engine utilising adventure games.

The Bad

The back side of the DVD cover states, that EDoLJ has a classic feeling of an adventure and that the story line is hilarious. They also say in there, that the game has gripping action sequences.

Well, all I can say about that is, the developers were at least trying and in trying they failed miserably. The basic idea of a joke, at least what I got from here, is that an odd character says something incomprehensible.

EDoLJ also has one of the worst voice cast I've heard in games. I think it's safe to assume, that no one was even trying to act, they just did some odd voices and were done with it. The same goes with the soundtrack and sound effects. At the end, being so fed up with the sound scape of the game, I just turned off my speakers.

The Bottom Line

EDoLJ is miserably failed adventure potpourri, that has far too many elements. It has basic adventuring, car races, FPS scenes and even a rail shooter. Some aspects of the game work, but many don't. In conclusion, the game is not fun to play at all and feels more like a chore.