How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Garry's Mod (Windows)

Written by  :  Pixelspeech (955)
Written on  :  May 17, 2011

read more reviews by Pixelspeech

Summary

Not a game and not good either

The Good

If you play this with a friend you are guaranteed to have a good time. There is a million things you can do together and especially irritating you friends while they are trying to build never gets old. If you are not the type then you could always help each other with projects as well.

It plays the same as Half-life 2 which is a good thing. The interface is well-designed and very fast which is always nice. Shooting is also works the same and you have all the weapons. I had a lot of fun building bases with my cousin and throwing exploding barrels at each other while our turrets fired away at our infantry.

The Bad

It is almost impossible to get your hands on proper DLC. Even if you find what you are looking for getting it to work requires a lot of annoying work; Sometimes a rag-doll has to be put in the garrysmod folder, sometimes in the addons folder sometimes in the models folder, it is just never the same folder and the same procedure. Plus you don't find out if something doesn't work unless you boot up the game between every download to check.

Posing rag-dolls, whether it is for comics or just for fun, can easily take up to an hour per rag-doll. The idea is that you grab them with the gravity gun and then freeze each individual part of their body. But sometimes a rag-doll will fly up in the air when you are trying to to raise their arm or the doll starts having a seizure.

There are so many basic things you just can't spawn, to point out the most obvious: Basic shapes. You can't spawn any squares to form a wall or something or even something that could properly replace it. Water is also absent and so any other fluid. It is just astounding to see so many pointless items, but the basic things are nowhere to be found.

For some reason the game doesn't take any items and rag-dolls from Left 4 Dead which is amazingly stupid. I had to download the models and of course they didn't work, but the maps were nowhere to be found, so it was already pointless. Also why couldn't I spawn working characters from Team Fortress 2, that game has a decent AI, but all I can do is spawn rag-dolls.

Creating a game for just you and a friend is annoying and takes up way too much time and often just doesn't work. The game really, really wants you to buy or rent a server I think because they make you go through so much work to get something to work.

The Bottom Line

Garry's Mod is fun and has a nice interface, but it is filled with problems as well. A lot of basic functions just refuse to work and there is a lot missing. This game is maybe fun for an hour of dumb entertainment, but it lacks any form of depth to keep you interested for longer. The game actually has an achievement that requires the player to play the game for a certain period of time without any breaks. That is just terrible, take some responsibility.