User review spotlight: Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (DOS)

Gears of War (Windows)

MobyRank
100 point score based on reviews from various critics.
MobyScore
5 point score based on user ratings.
Forum Search  
View Mode: threaded | watch thread

Does this get any better?

MichaelPalin (1195) on Jan 06, 2008

I played it for 2 hours or less and I'm already bored. Yes, I like it, is very spectacular and very violent, the dream of any fan of shooters but, I would like to know if there is some variety in the game or it's going to be like this (enter combat zone -> cover -> enemies appear from holes -> shoot all of them dead) forever.

And, does anybody knows some place where they compare XBox 360 version and PC version's graphics? I'm curious to see the improvements of DirectX 10 over XBox 360.

Thanks!

Re: Does this get any better?

St. Martyne (3540) on Jan 06, 2008

Hmm, as far as I know there's no DirectX 10 specific features for Gears. But if you're still playing with X1950, I am not even sure you'll find any.

Apart from higher resolutions and additional levels I don't think there's any improvements on the 360 version.

(Edited by St. Martyne (3540), Jan 06, 2008)

MichaelPalin (1195) on Jan 06, 2008

That's what HandofShadow says.

St. Martyne (3540) on Jan 06, 2008

Uhm. You're sending me back to Mobygames rapsheet.

EDIT: Oh, I see. But, you know, I haven't played either of the games though, so I can't really comment on it. I just say about what I've learned from other websites.

(Edited by St. Martyne (3540), Jan 06, 2008)

Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze (590) on Jan 08, 2008

MichaelPalin Wrote:
I played it for 2 hours or less and I'm already bored. Yes, I like it, is very spectacular and very violent, the dream of any fan of shooters but, I would like to know if there is some variety in the game or it's going to be like this (enter combat zone -> cover -> enemies appear from holes -> shoot all of them dead) forever.

I think the problem lies in your selection of titles: You're switching between this, a straight-out plotless shooter, and that one where you spent about 12 hours dressing up your character or whatever, before the game even started. Maybe you should get a third game that stands somewhere in the middle of both. Like an adventure, for example. I'm playing this one right now and it's pretty neat so far.

Or, you could just wipe all three of them off of your hdd and replay Bioshock, which is the BEST. GAEM. EVA!!!!!11ONE :P

(Edited by Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze (590), Jan 08, 2008)

MichaelPalin (1195) on Jan 08, 2008

Hey!, I can handle variety. I'm not starting another topic on why most shooters suck, but I'm playing Kane & Lynch also, and it's way more varied than Gears of War having basically the same gameplay (3rd Person Shooter, single player cooperative, shoot & cover). The complaint focuses a bit more on why the better the graphics the worst the rest of the features. I'm enjoying the (slow loading) graphics of Gears, but, after finishing the first of 5 levels, I'm afraid the gameplay wont go any further.

By the way, the middle would be action RPG, which I usually enjoy a lot (hail to Gothic!). And I'm still not sure I could handle NWN2:MotB.

P.S.: I though you didn't like Bioshock that much, haven't we talk about it already?

Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze (590) on Jan 08, 2008

Yep, I understand your point. That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried it yet, I'm afraid there will be little to nothing else past that so much praised duck-and-cover thing.

Also, I don't think this poor machine could handle it anyway. In fact, I'm not sure I could even make enough room on my hard disk to install the damned thing. I really need to upgrade my pc :(

As for Bioshock, I seem to remember you were the one that didn't like it that much, I loved it! It certainly could have been much better, but everything there is in there works beautifully to me. You know, if it ain't broken why fix it and such.

MichaelPalin (1195) on Jan 08, 2008

I have (check on my rapsheet) and it goes smooth at 1440x900 with most of the things high, except in intros and at the beginning of each level. It actually takes very long to load everything even when you are already with the control of th game. You can see textures loading around you and you have to move the mouse wildly for a couple of seconds until everything is truly loaded. Oh!, and don't trust me on the story being bad, because I'm playing it in German and don't get most of the things.

You'll be happy with this new. I hope they add more features in the direction of SS2, but, still, barely feel excited about prequels, it's like, you know what will happen!! And yes, I know S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will also have one, o_O

St. Martyne (3540) on Jan 08, 2008

MichaelPalin Wrote:
I hope they add more features in the direction of SS2

Remarkably enough, I hope that they will stray away from the concept of SS2 as much as possible.

But given the fact that Ken Levine has left the Irrational, and taking into account the direction the game is supposed to take, I doubt that either of us will be satisfied. :(

MichaelPalin (1195) on Jan 09, 2008

Either way, being the story of the collapse of the whole rapture, I hope they give some freedom to roam it nonlinerly. The only thing we need is the concept of "everything waits for you to happen" once again.

Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze (590) on Jan 10, 2008

I'm wondering who the hell would you play in a prequel. One of the things I love about the story is that every single character is or has been a pretty despicable bastard at some point. It's hard to find someone to relate to in that damned city :P