Grand Theft Auto 2 (Windows)

Mature
Written by  :  Late (97)
Written on  :  Apr 13, 2001

read more reviews by Late

Summary

Original gameplay with great presentation (and a bad-ass attitude)

The Good

Everything. I actually liked everything about this game. Brilliant music, brilliant graphics, brilliant gameplay, great sound effects, and to top it all, well designed levels (not as much of those nasty dead ends they had in GTA). This is one of those action games that I always enjoy playing because there's nothing wrong with it (others include Krakout, Carmageddon, and... well, there really aren't that many perfect games). Even if you don't feel like completing the missions, just squishing and gunning down pedestrians and cops and generally raising hell is a great way of getting rid of stress. Now you can even save your game at any time (although at a cost), which is a great improvement from GTA (although I've only played the PS version of that, so I don't know if you could do that in the PC version).

The Bad

You can't play the soundtrack on a CD-player. That's about it.

The Bottom Line

Now this is your basic top-down car-jacking, cop-killing, tank-driving, elvis-squishing action game containing three playing fields (city districts) with different missions, rival criminal gangs, hidden weapons and vehicles, and all the usual stuff. For those of you who haven't played a game of this type (which would include GTA and GTA2 and not much else) you basically walk or drive (you can hi-jack cars) around a 3D city with rival criminal gangs, causing general mayhem or doing jobs for the gangs. There's no linear plot and no rules, but loads and loads of fun for the criminally inclined gamer.