Grim Fandango (Windows)

4.2
Written by  :  Kartanym (10777)
Written on  :  Feb 14, 2002

read more reviews by Kartanym

Summary

Move over Monkey Island ... here comes the new adventure king

The Good

Let's just say that any adventure game developed by the people that created the highly entertaining Monkey Island series will always be a classic. Thank God, then, that Grim Fandango proved me right.

I don't think I've ever played a game with such an enjoyable storyline. It seems that everything is packed into it, yet it works so well. And thanks to many years of Monkey Island madness, playing the game itself was just as enjoyable. And the style of the game really is amazing, from the crisp and detailed graphics to the funny dialogue and character development. It really is a gem of a game.

The Bad

The fact that it still didn't impact the way I was hoping. Such a huge game has been followed up by little in the way of future Adventure games (apart from another LucasArts title, Escape from Monkey Island). I just wish that other developers would take the same risk that LucasArts have made so many times. They have never failed.

The Bottom Line

Be glad, all adventure fans, that George Lucas built LucasArts. If they never lived, gamer world wide would have missed out on possibly the greatest advanture game of all time. In fact, they would have missed out on 5 of the best games of all time (possibly 6, if another Monkey Island goes ahead).

Grim Fandango is pure art. Everything is just so right.