ControversyThe Association for American Indian Development made a petition to have Activision remove all "derogatory, harmful, and inaccurate depictions of American Indians" as they were outraged that Apaches were shown slaughtering renegade members of their own tribe, the killing and scalping of Apaches is a game requisite, and the killing of sacred white animals was shown as part of their culture (which it isn't). If these were not removed and the game re-issued then a total recall was wanted.
Activision's response was this statement:
"Activision does not condone or advocate any of the atrocities that occurred in the American West during the 1800s. Gun was designed to reflect the harshness of life on the American frontier at that time. It was not Activision's intention to offend any race or ethnic group with Gun, and we apologize to any who might have been offended by the game's depiction of historical events which have been conveyed not only through video games but through films, television programming, books and other media."
German versionThere are several changes in the German version:
- All blood and gore effects were removed
- The German translation calls headshots "Volltreffer" (Direct hit)
- Death animations were removed
- When taking a hostage, the player can either release or execute it in the end. In the German version, the execution was replaced with a knockout.
- It is not possible to scalp enemies
- Enemies which come into contact with the molotov weapon don't burn to death. They still run around in panic and cry, but there are no flames.
- The intro was deleted without substitution
- In another cutscene between level nine and ten, a decapitation was removed
- 2005 – Xbox 360 Action Game of the Year
Contributed by Scaryfun (11422) on Nov 27, 2010. [revised by : Patrick Bregger (98904)]. -- edit trivia