Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Price of Loyalty (Windows)

Written by  :  ex_navynuke! (48)
Written on  :  Apr 13, 2005

read more reviews by ex_navynuke!

Summary

Turn-based fantasy RPG crack cocaine!

The Good

This is a hugely addictive game, where there is a near-perfect blend of strategy, fantasy, and role-playing. This expansion pack for the original game has eaten more of my free time than any other game, by far. I continue to play this classic to this very day. The maps in this expansion are far superior to the original, plus you get a map editor to make your own!

The music is pretty cool. Each type of castle has its own musical theme (wizard, sorceress, necromancer, knight, warlock)

Battles are turn-based, so you can take time to ponder which units and spells to use against your enemy's units. Or (if you're feeling brave) you can let the PC do it for you.

It's an absolute joy defeating guardian monsters, then gathering artifacts and seeing how they improve your heroes.

The Bad

There was *nothing* that I dislike about this game. The graphics are dated by today's standards, but in my opinion, this game is a flawless gem. I wish its descendants with the prettier graphics were as clean and tight - but instead they look too busy.

The Bottom Line

Thoughtful, turn based strategy, in a setting with fantasy armies - hydras, golems, orcs, gargoyles, titans, you name it, they're here!