Heroes of Might and Magic (Windows)

Written by  :  Lord Matthias (18)
Written on  :  Apr 11, 2002
read more reviews by Lord Matthias

Summary

Best concept ever to hit strategy gaming!!!

The Good

This game is great. Although later titles (like Heroes of Might and Magic 3) are more complex, this game is the original, and probably my favorite turn-based strategy game ever. One of the good points of this game is the great, oldstyle graphics, which I like more than today's more sophisticated 3d stuff. Also, there is a great variety of creatures that you can hire into your hero's army, ranging from the weak, simple peasant to the splendid unicorns of the meadow, to the fearsome, multi-headed hydra! The best part of the game is the unique gameplay style, which few games before had ever used. Heroes of Might and Magic has almost the best replay and multiplayer value I've ever seen in a game.

The Bad

If I had to pick a problem with this game, I would say that this game does not have quite as much storyline as later games in the Heroes series, but that is not a major setback in a cool game like this. Additionally, this game is the most challenging strategy game I have ever played, but not to the point of frustration. Also, I had some difficulty running Heroes of Might and Magic on one of my computers, but it worked fine on the others so this is probably just a glitch.

The Bottom Line

If you are a strategy or roleplaying gamer, this title is a great change of pace. Even after you have completed the single-player game, you will probably find yourself asking friends and family alike to sit down and play a multiplayer game with you (which is possible with the "hot seat" feature). This is a terrific game, and I would recommend it to any computer game fan who doesn't mind a game that is not exactly brimming with "fast-paced shoot 'em up adrenaline rush" action. Truly a classic.