DescriptionHexen is the sequel to Heretic. While the Heretic was destroying D'Sparil, the other two Serpent Riders have come to your dimension and slaughtered everyone. Or so they thought. Three humans have managed to escape with their lives and now seek vengeance against the Serpent Rider Korax who remains in their world.
Like Heretic, Hexen is a fantasy game based on an enhanced DOOM engine. All of Heretic's innovations like vertical looking, flying, and the inventory system have been carried over. The new major changes this time around are three characters for the player to choose from and the level hub system. The characters are the Fighter, the Cleric, and the Mage. Each one has four unique weapons and different levels of speed and armor.
The hub system steps away from the traditional "single levels stringed along into episodes" system which had been carried over into the FPS genre from sidescrollers and made popular by Wolfenstein 3D. In Hexen's hub system each episode is still made up of interconnected levels, but most of the levels are connected to a single "hub" level through portals. There are also portals between some of the "spoke" levels. Many of the puzzles in Hexen require travel back and forth between different levels.
Other innovations in Hexen included weather effects, jumping, earth-quakes, and destructible objects such as trees and vases.
- "Hexen 95" -- Windows re-release title
- "Hexen" -- Console title
- "Heretic 2" -- Working title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: id Tech 1
- Gameplay feature: Auto-mapping
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Heretic and Hexen series
There are no reviews for the Windows release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
The Press Says
|Joystick (French)||Nov, 1995||90 out of 100||90|
|GameStar (Germany)||Sep, 1997||85 out of 100||85|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaThe final boss of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Mordekai The Summoner, carries a staff very similar to the Bloodscourge, the last weapon of the Mage class in Hexen: Beyond Heretic. It should also be noted that the enemy as a whole looks very similar to D'Sparil, the final boss of Heretic.
Related Web Sites
- Doomsday HQ -- Home of jDoom, jHeretic, and jHexen. These are hardware accelerated ports of those games ( require original DOS versions to work). Useful to make the games prettier, extended multiplayer support, and to work perfectly on Windows Xp!
- Raven-Games -- This site is dedicated to older Raven Software games. Here you can get maps and mods for Heretic, including JHexen and Koka's GLHexen, the two best hardware accelerated Hexen upgrades in existence!
- Wikipedia: Hexen: Beyond Heretic -- Information about Hexen: Beyond Heretic at Wikipedia
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.