Imperialism (Windows)

Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Dec 01, 2000
Rating  :  4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

Wonderfull game as long as you can look past a BIG flaw.

The Good

This game had a great blend of finance and war, easy controls and good graphics for its day. There were many good aspects to this game but unlike most games it had the proper blend. So many games go so far in one talent (graphics, sound, gameplay, ease of use) but lack in others. A truly great game wont be perfict but will have just the right blend of everything.

The Bad

This absolutly broke my heart. This game came so close to being a top 3 or 4 in my all time list but for one fatal flaw. Just as I am building up a great state from the ashes of another war the counsel elects me winner and guess what... GAME OVER!! What!! how dare they end my game it was just starting to get interesting. Time after time this would happen to me and I would go back to try to go further. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt. But I could never conquer the whole board.

The Bottom Line

I am a big strategy freek. (Civ, Age of Empires,Homeworld) However I am very very picky about what games meet my standard. This game came so close to being one of my top 3 favorite games that it is sad to see how far it had to fall at the end. Overall I would recommend this game to people and have given it as a gift before. But the bottom line is that with just a small fix this could have been a true giant of a game. --pity-- It has such great moments but be ready to face the cruel fate of the counsel. wsm