Spotlight: Get up to 90% off at GOG's big fall sale on over 700 DRM-free games!

Indigo Prophecy (Windows)

Written by  :  thud (88)
Written on  :  Aug 06, 2009
Rating  :  4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars

read more reviews by thud

Summary

Tries to do something different and new - and mostly succeeds

The Good

It played like a movie; I know David Cage and company tried to do this. And I think they pretty much succeeded. I like that there is an actual plot, and that it is not all mindless button-mashing (although there is a fair amount of that). They tried to do something creative and new in terms of the controls, and this alone makes this game worth taking a look at. The visuals and on-screen presentation are also very good. This is a really well-conceived game.

The Bad

As others have commented, the controls can be very hard to get the hang of. I started with a Saitek gamepad, which gave good Force feedback effects but lacked the precision necessary to succeed at any of the button-mashing levels. I eventually tried an XBox 360 gamepad (more expensive, but worth it) which was the only gamepad precise enough to allow me to advance through the levels. With the standard driver, Force feedback was not an option. After some tweaking, I finally managed to get the open-source XBCD driver installed and configured to my wishes, which gave me good Force feedback. As installed, I doubt the gamepad configuration suits anyone.

The Bottom Line

It's like playing an interactive novel. The story is fairly open-ended and is directed by the player. Some of the levels are quite fun by themselves, but ultimately it is the story that drives everything. Being European, there's more emphasis on sex and less on violence - which is quite refreshing. Some more branches in the story might have been nice, but it's quite rewarding as it is. I played it through to get to (and see) the various game endings, also to see the various branches and hear the different dialogue threads. I would really like to see more games like this.