New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Interstate '76 (Windows)

Written by  :  Steelysama (106)
Written on  :  Dec 01, 1999
read more reviews by Steelysama

Summary

Out of sight. This game grooves, man.

The Good

For one thing, the 70's motif is incredibly fun. All that funk music, 70's slang, big hair, and big cars. It's like being in a 70's tv show. And what's more, you get to drive a car around the American SouthWest and blow things up with it. That's enough reason to buy this game on it's own. Of course, if you're going to drive around destroying things (with a delightfully varied and destructive arsenal, which this game provides), you might as well look good doing it. And in Interstate '76, you do. The graphics are beautiful and even more so if you can get your hands on the Gold version, which has 3d acceleration. Gameplay is good, too. You've got two primary modes of play: The Trip (the main game) and Melee (which is just what it sounds like). The Trip features a great storyline with fun characters (my personal favorite is your afroed, poetry-writing partner, Taurus) as well as missions that have a feeling of purpose to them. Melee mode allows you to cut-back and have fun trashing either computerized enemies or real people over the net. Great fun, I'll tell you.

The Bad

Alas, the game seems to have some very annoying technical problems. The biggest problem is that the game is just generally unstable. It has a tendency on some computers to crash randomly (which is very annoying). As well, it's even more unstable if you are using a 3dfx graphics card with the Gold version (to relieve this problem, play the game in Direct 3D mode). One major gripe I have is that the characters seem to have a penchant for using the word "sh*t" in every other sentence. Is this necessary? And my final gripe: I am upset that there isn't a sequel out yet.

The Bottom Line

A combat-driving sim full of fun and funk music.