Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire (Windows)

Written by  :  kbmb (399)
Written on  :  Mar 10, 2004
Rating  :  2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars2.71 Stars

read more reviews by kbmb

Summary

Wildfire is really nothing more than a buggy "real world" mod.

The Good

The new weapons are nice. This time around, even your cheap mercs often start with new gear, including some nice weapons, rather than the ol' "two six-shooters" from the original Jagged Alliance 2.

The new storyline is neat, if you thought the original was too comical or something.

Almost, if not all maps have been drastically redone. New tiles also add new strategic elements to the game.

The Bad

Ugh, it's a mod! And a buggy one at that. I, for one, can't even beat Drassen because the game freezes every time I get a headshot, or if I have a certain merc selected and I view a certain area. It doesn't seem to be random lockups, which makes it all the more annoying. If I want to move Steroid here, I can't do that, I have to move someone else FIRST, or the game will freeze.

The new storyline is...well, it's more real, but I didn't care for it. I want to take down a nation's dictator, not rustle with drug cartels.

They just reworked some old dialogue and stuff to fit around their new story. It just...doesn't feel like anything more than a mod. And mods should be free.

The Bottom Line

If you can't get enough JA2, or you're looking for a more real-world mod, this is worth picking up. But until they release some patches for it, it's virtually unplayable.