Lander (Windows)

Written by  :  Ashley Pomeroy (233)
Written on  :  Jul 11, 2005
Rating  :  1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars
read more reviews by Ashley Pomeroy

Summary

Crash and burn

The Good

Ah, yes, I remember this. For a short while it was going to be the first ever DVD-only title, because it had a very long intro movie, or something along those lines. In the end I think it was included as a pack-in game with some DVD drives, but was otherwise released on CD. I mention this because the game is otherwise fairly dull. It's an update of the old 'Lunar Lander' concept, with attractive 3D graphics in the modern way, coming a year or so after an earlier update of 'Battlezone'.

The Bad

But unlike 'Battlezone' it didn't really advance the concept; instead, it was 'Lunar Lander' (or, for people my age, 'Thrust' or 'Virus') in a more attractive set of environments. As before, your ship flew like a helicopter, with a main thruster pushing upwards and little thrusters directing your bearing; to move forwards, you had to tilt forwards and thrust with the main thrusters, that kind of thing.

And to be honest it wasn't greatly entertaining when it was 'Thrust' or 'Virus'. Those games are fondly remembered nowadays for being very hard and frustrating, and Lander is very hard and frustrating. Lord knows what the last three-quarters of the game was like, I gave up early on. Like 'V2000' it was simply frustratingly hard in an unfair way, as if the designers were banking on a wave of nostalgia to sell the game rather than gameplay.

The Bottom Line

It's an attractive update of 'Virus', 'Thrust' and 'Lunar Lander', in backwards chronological order. Just as frustratingly awful to play as those games, but in 2000! The dearth of reviews on MobyGames suggests that it was never released outside Britain, and it wasn't a huge hit.