Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat (Windows)

3.3
Written by  :  Xoleras (66122)
Written on  :  Jan 06, 2005
Rating  :  3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars

read more reviews by Xoleras

Summary

Amateurish production/localization

The Good

What I really liked, hm, let me think about it... Yeah, the possibility of deactivating the subtitles :D.

Well, ok, graphics are good. They are far from perfect, but quite good. Music is good too.

Since I gave up the game already on an early part of the game, I can't tell anything about the development of the story, if it's good or bad, but playing Largo (the character, not the game) actually made fun.

The Bad

I can't believe that this game was developed by UbiSoft directly, as the voice acting, particularly the voice-lip-synchronization, is just made amateurish! Almost always this is so badly that the characters have moved their lips completely before the voice came out of their now closed mouths. Or on the other side, first "talking" and then moving the lips. Once I even saw Largo's lips in movement, while someone else talked alone (and this persons mouth was closed of course).

The localization of the game is another thing. I own the German version of the game, or better I thought I will own the German version before I bought it. After installing, it looked very nice, multilingual (English, German, Italian, Spanish) version, cool! But with the intro came the disappointment, UbiSoft localized only the in-game texts, the speech is for all four languages English-only, while the non-English languages getting localized subtitles. I hate subtitles. I don't mind it for being English-only (at least for myself), but what was the problem for doing a real localization anyway? No money, no time, no mood???

Another thing are the controls. I don't mind it for being controlled only by keyboard (and gamepad I believe), I don't like it, but I can live with it. But, why on earth can't I configure it at all??? Now that's what even old DOS games could...

And finally, I myself have a weird graphic problem with the game which I can't solve (and neither the UbiSoft Support), which makes playing a real pain. That's the reason why I gave up the game so early.

The Bottom Line

If I had written this review 2 years ago, I probable would have suggested to think carefully before buying, particularly for people wanting to buy a non-English version. But since the game is now available in the local bargain bin, there isn't much you can make wrong with buying it.