The Legacy of Kain Series: Blood Omen 2 (Windows)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19671)
Written on  :  Oct 29, 2002
Rating  :  3.29 Stars3.29 Stars3.29 Stars3.29 Stars3.29 Stars

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver - Difficulty: Nightmare. Blood Omen 2 - Difficulty: Mother Goose. Get the picture?

The Good

Well, if you like adventure games that don't require maximizing the use of your creative and intuitive side of the brain, this should be perfect for you. This also is a must for Legacy of Kain fans (like myself) just for historical sake purposes only.

Not much different than Soul Reaver, strangely much less complicated than Soul Reaver. Strange because usually the later the game, the more difficult is gets because there usually are more players familiar with its game style. This game is much more easier. MUCH more easier.

Nice to know that these type of games (vampire) still have the utmost disrespect for humanity. Though I must complain, I was expecting much more blood....

The Bad

Well, not liking this game would be an overstatement. It's still a good and fun game, with a lot killing, fighting, killing, bloodsucking, did I mention killing?

Basically my concerns are that it is disappointing in comparison to Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver. Blood Omen and Soul Reaver to my opinion are excellent puzzle solving games that give you migraines, but worth it when you solve the puzzle. In Blood Omen 2, a baby with half a brain could solve the puzzles, sorry for the sarcasm but its true.

It saddens me that there is little education offered in this game, in comparison to Blood Omen 1. In Blood Omen 1, you've got spells, and you can read description about them, different weapons with different uses. Blood Omen 2 doesn't offer many options. The story line is too linear, no secret rooms or such. Even bonuses are usually within sight and not to hard to find. Controls are irritating since you can't side step for some stupid reason. You can't cancel animations which is irritating if you've just loaded your game and have to watch it all over again. Sigh.

Boy, I really hate these 3-D games. Too much graphics, not enough brain.

I was wondering do people actually like these type of games which to my opinion is degrading one's intelligence. Seriously, gamer's like myself would like a challenge. This game is easier than a walk in the park....

The Bottom Line

If it weren't for Kain, I wouldn't go near this game.