Madden NFL 2001 (Windows)

3.0
Written by  :  William Shawn McDonie (1152)
Written on  :  Jun 16, 2001

read more reviews by William Shawn McDonie

Summary

Eye popping graphics, and Classic Madden

The Good

My wife has become very knowledgeable about PC games over the last 4 years of our marriage. (not by choice) And when I sat down to try out my new game (Madden 2001) she sit back on the bed and decided to see what this new game looked like. WOW!!!!! Me and my wife were shocked. No kidding here folks, this game has the best, most blow you away graphics out there today. I had been playing Madden 2000, and the difference was apparent from the get go. First the field and stadium look 300 times better. The players are completely different. Second Pat Summerall's performance is a million times better. Now after you play the game for a few days you dont find yourself turning off the announcer. Game play is the same and they even tossed in a few new perks like Real Coach's plays. Overall this is a leap forward even for madden. With the last two madden titles the sound has been outstanding. EA don't change this for Madden 2002.

The Bad

I reviewed this title before and mentioned some items that I though the game lacked and should have had. Well much to my embarrassment I have found that the game does have players names available.

However I have noticed a couple of things that bugged me. If John Madden would just shut up and quit talking, I might be able to handle the voiceovers. Second the players on the sidelines are still horrible. But the option to turn off the players helps.

The Bottom Line

Still when you look at all the positives and negatives this game is (probably) the best football game made on the PC. Go get it. Now I have to go pound some face in the grass, later!