Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic (Windows)

Written by  :  Hollyoake Addams (33)
Written on  :  Apr 17, 2009
Rating  :  4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars4.71 Stars

read more reviews by Hollyoake Addams

Summary

Masterpiece - hugely underrated work of art

The Good

I really liked this game and haven't found any other game like it, except for Magic & Mayhem 1. It really has an epic feel to it. Fluid plot and music and carefully melded gameplay all combine to make a unique and superlative gaming experience. This game isn't meant to to be a dedicated tactical RTS or deliver finely tuned combat. It is meant to be an enjoyable and challenging romp filled with magical music and incredibly deep and detailed cultural graphics work.

In M&M2, the thing I liked most was the graphics and battle settings. Wonderful architecture, lush landscapes, really made you feel you were in a magical and rich land all the time. With adventure and high fantasy just round the corner.

The Bad

Mainly the slightly long loading times. I wasn't too bugged by this because I know the development team was rushed at the end. I'm glad the elected to sacrifice loading times in favour of a magical game and game world. The game is remarkably bug free- and is as stable and fluid as M&M 1.

The Bottom Line

Truly magical and unique experience. Challenging and tough and topped by the prospect of an always amazing multiplayer mode. This game in multiplayer meets or exceeds the scope of devious strategy and depth of Magic The Gathering. Of all games, M&M 2 is one which is very akin to speed chess. More so than Starcraft or other well known RTSes.

Comparable would be M&M 1 and other more sophisticated RPGers like NWN.