Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Magic: The Gathering (Windows)

Written by  :  Frecklefoot (191)
Written on  :  Feb 28, 2007
read more reviews by Frecklefoot

Summary

Good, light Magic

The Good

This game was a great "casual game" for anyone who enjoyed the non-virtual version of Magic: The Gathering. The duel portion could easily be played while talking on the phone or doing other tasks.

What I didn't like about the game is kind of a dubious gripe--the AI was too good and ended up kicking my butt! Of course, this is really a compliment to the developers--I don't think the AI really cheated--but it would have been nice to win more often! Really, the AI was surprisingly good and rarely did "stupid" things and often played really, really well.

I loved that this game could be run in a normal window--it didn't have to be fullscreen like most games. Again, making it a great casual game.

The whole quest aspect of the game, while not essential, was an interesting addition to the franchise.

The Bad

I have two gripes with this game. First, it was a memory hog. But this was due to large amount of hi-res images it used for cards. It was obvious that they tried to minimize memory used by using some sort of compression on the images, but even so, it took loads of RAM and could significantly impact the operation of other programs and the OS as a whole. This is not something I fault the developers for: they could've used crummy lo-res graphics, or the hi-res graphics the game was noted for. They opted for the hi-res graphics to make a more visually appealing game.

My biggest complaint is that the game won't install on anything but a Windows 95 machine! After Windows 98, 2000 and XP came out, it wouldn't install on any of those machines, even though they could easily run it. The install saw that the Windows version wasn't 95 and would exit!

The Bottom Line

Magic