How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Magic: The Gathering (Windows)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Mar 07, 2000
read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

If you like M:TG, the game is great...

The Good

I have been playing M:TG for a few years, and I picked this up when I had the chance.

It's a fantastic game considering the complex nature of bringing a collectable card game to a PC.

If I tried explaining the game mechanincs here, it would take forever, and the Wizards of the Coast website (www.wizards.com) can explain the game MUCH better than I can :)

The Gameplay is different depending on how you play. You can play straight out Magic, which is great for practicing for real games. Then there is the Adventure game. You basically start oout as a neophyte wizard, and you walk around the land, battling creatures and stopping the bad guys from winning. When Battling, you ante a card from your deck, and if you lose, you lose the card, but if you win you get an opponents card.

The AI is also selectable from the beginning of the game. Apprentice to Wizard. And be forewarned, Wizard Class is TOUGH.

The graphics are beautiful. The artwork from each card is beautifully reproduced in the game, and is fun just to look at.

The sound is also well done. Great effects (dpeending on the spell), and you'll love the Goblin Polka Band :)

Another great feature is the tutorial. A FMV tutorial on how to play the game is included, and Microprose did a great job making the game easy to understand. Divided into 15+ parts, you can choose what you want to learn. Great for beginners or novices that need a refresher course on gameplay mechanics.

The Bad

The adventure game gets tedious after a while. Basically you have to get a type of card, or defeat a certain creature to gain card, etc. and that becomes tiresome after awhile.

The Bottom Line

A great translation of a complex card game.