🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Mass Effect > Yeow. What a lousy port.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/3/2009 6:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have a new VGA card and yet still no new life. While currently vacationing from my approval duties, I finally got this game working to see what the fuss was about. Nice to know it was appropriately fussed about. What was not nice was to find out I have a bug that inhibits me to save game manually (only relying on autosaves) and cannot access the galaxy map on your ship.

Must be the only gamer on the planet who's being stalked by bugs. :p

PS. I also sometimes get a message: "Your game has been comprised, please re-install". Hehe.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/3/2009 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

"Must be the only gamer on the planet who's being stalked by bugs."

That's becasue you pirate them. Mass Effect has heavy and annoying DRM installed. In fact, even those who buy the game can only install it three times before their cd's get worthless.

But speaking of the game itself, the game was the most bugless and smooth Bioware rpg ever.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/4/2009 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

You got a pirate version, right? Then you must download all those fixes that are floating on the net, I don't think the game will work properly without them.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/7/2009 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Lovely. Only one 11 MB download to fix all those problems. Yay!
Currently restarting (again) since I found out that the game has a bad habit of cancelling out sub-quests when you accidently finish a main quest. Grr.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/20/2009 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeow. Just finished the game. Unbelievably over-rated. Forget anything bad I said about Witcher.

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/20/2009 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Yeow. Just finished the game. Unbelievably over-rated. Forget anything bad I said about Witcher. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Oh, Indra, fuck those RPGs! Let's play some Empire: Total War!

Indra was here (20755) on 3/20/2009 5:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] Oh, Indra, fuck those RPGs! Let's play some Empire: Total War! [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Oooh, another Total War game I wasn't aware of. I guess the Mass Effect review can wait indefinitely. Thanks for the heads up.

vedder (70802) on 3/20/2009 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I never really got the hype about Mass Effect either. The story/setting is an exact replica of KotOR 2 (yay they are trying to destroy the universe, again) minus the star wars license. Vehicular combat was rediculously easy and vehicular exploration was rediculously boring as heck. I never found a single interesting item in the game and the RPG system was poor due to its lack of different abilities. The side quests were so generic they could've easily been randomly generated. Combat was ok, but there's lots of action games which do it much better suspense-wise.

The only real thing this game had going for it was pretty graphics and good acting. It also had a lot of detailed lore, but frankly I didn't find the world very interesting, it had nothing that's not already been done to death in sci-fi themed media.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/20/2009 10:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Exact replica of Kotor 2? More like Kotor 1. In Kotor 2 the universe was in no danger, as the storyline of that game was just the journey of an apprentice through two different teachings, and through understanding the whole picture also discovering himself.

And as far as Indra and Mass Effect - Indra sucks and he's late. I already made fun of Mass Effect and it's sameness in my rpg article. It's stupid to say "it's an overrated game" about an overrated game like you're a cool rebel or something when the official Moby rpg status quo (yay me!!!) already says it's overrated. So suck somewhere else Indra.

Bioware - delivering you the same game since 2001.

vedder (70802) on 3/21/2009 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

You're right, It's KotOR 1, I'm mixing them up in my mind.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/22/2009 5:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Mass Effect is a blast to play from the beginning to the end. It has an amazing cinematic impact, lovingly created setting, appealing characters, great dialogue, outstanding voice acting, and fun gameplay.

Similarities?! Duh!.. It's the same company, of course there will be similarities to its older games.

And last time I checked, Kotor didn't use a real-time shooting combat.

Bottom line: Mass Effect rocks, you guys suck, go get a life, insert your own favorite fanboyish quote! :-)

Indra was here (20755) on 3/22/2009 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]Mass Effect is a blast to play from the beginning to the end.[/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--] Darn it Oleg, the side quests. For the love of gawd, the side quests!