DescriptionThe universe of The Matrix goes massively multiplayer in this cyberpunk RPG. Players jack into one of the many districts inside the anonymous sprawling city of the Matrix, and perform missions for the three organizations trying to control the Matrix: Zion, the Machines, and the Merovingian. The trademark gravity-defying kung fu combat of the films shows its face often as players immerse themselves in the Wachowski Brothers' cyberpunk world.
As a newly awakened "redpill," you can develop your character by swapping in and out certain abilities at will, made possible due to the fact that the Matrix is a computer, and spontaneous missions are available at literally any time with a simple call on your character's cellphone. The game also aims to allow even low level players to participate in and affect the story.
Part of the Following Groups
|An impressive sandbox, but someone forgot to bring the toys.||BurningStickMan (17736)|
The Press Says
|Game Chronicles||Apr 16, 2005||10 out of 10||100|
|GameZone||Apr 17, 2005||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Game Informer Magazine||Jun, 2005||7.5 out of 10||75|
|GamePro (US)||Apr 20, 2005||3.5 out of 5||70|
|GameSpy||Apr 15, 2005||70|
|1UP||Apr 13, 2005||6.5 out of 10||65|
|Gamesmania||Jun 06, 2005||63 out of 100||63|
|4Players.de||May 16, 2005||61 out of 100||61|
|2404.org PC Gaming||May 06, 2005||6 out of 10||60|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Apr 15, 2005||5 out of 10||50|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ChaptersThe first chapter of The Matrix Online saw Morpheus killed by a mysterious masked assassin (Cinematic 1.3). This moment, designed to be a shocking turn of events for players familiar with the films, also unraveled the truce between humans and the Machines (which, from a story perspective, opened up combat between the two sides within the game).
The immediate chapters following gave players from all three factions their own reasons to find the assassin and solve this mystery.
Server development and shutdownOn August 2, 2005, Sony Online Entertainment merged the nine worlds into three new worlds, due to the low level of population density. One world was hostile while the other two ran under normal PvP rules. Sony had acquired the game in June 2005 when Monolith pulled out of the project and laid off 80 employees. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment transferred the game to Sony, and Sony hired 25 of the employees who had been let go.
Sega of America continued to manage distribution, while Warner still oversaw content development. Sony held the operational involvement. Monolith was not the first company to withdraw involvement from the property, Ubisoft did the same in early 2004. The game ran until 31st July 2009. After a spectacular finale that lasted a week, the servers were closed.
- 2005 – Biggest Disappointment of the Year (PC)
Related Web Sites
- Awakened Radio (You can get the best music and in-game Matrix Online related news and events, as it happens, from our talented on-air personalities. All of us at Awakened Radio are excited to look to the future as we continue to grow, making it even easier to bring your the most exciting community based in-game events, contest, and music enhancing your enjoyment of the Matrix Online video game.
- Data Node One (Official community site.)
- Exile Radio Network (A player-run radio station, with music and event updates, coordinated by followers of The Merovingian. )
- Know The Matrix Online (Resource and news site.)
- MxO at the Stratics Gaming Network (Strategy and statistics, Stratics and The Matrix Online, all the news that's fit to print. )
- MxO Coldfront (MxO on the Coldfront Fansite Network. )
- The Matrix Online Vault (Resource page with all things Matrix Online.)
- The RedPill Greeters (The RedPill Greeters was formed to help Zion, by having volunteers who can meet and assist newly awakened Redpills arriving in Mega City. It is our mission to help orient and inform these new Redpills, to make them feel welcomed into the existing community, to support them in their transition from life as a Bluepill to a Redpill. )
Director of Audio: