Max Payne (Windows)

Mature
4.2
Written by  :  Aapo Koivuniemi (43)
Written on  :  Aug 27, 2001
Rating  :  4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars4.14 Stars
read more reviews by Aapo Koivuniemi

Summary

Good, but way less than expected

The Good

Max Payne, the long-awaited shooter. Everyone has heard about it, but how many have really played it? I did, and... lets see... the good side: graphics are good. Very good. Also, the 'bullet time' and 'cinematic shot' features are awesome. Imagine this: you leap in a room with two Ingram-smgs blazing bullets, everything is in slow motion and you can see every single bullet, the enemies move like underwater but you are faster than ever. As the final opponent falls, you see his death in a cinematic sequence, blood comes from his knees, he falls down and screams. Feels just like a movie. Another good side is the gameplay, after you have learned the controls, controlling Max is very solid and feels good. The third thing that is good is the story. Although simple, it's much better than in Soldier of Fortune or any Quake. Usage of comic strips instead of video is also a good idea.

The Bad

Now the bad. First of all, although the graphics are good, they aren't as good as you could expect from the system requirements. The characters and weapons look good, but the environment doesn't. This spoils the atmosphere. Another thing I am missing are the bullet wounds. Although enemies have hit zones, a hit to head looks the same as hit to leg. The worst thing, however, is that the game crashes pretty often. I had also problems to get the game run. Maybe it's just my computer. Or then not.

The Bottom Line

Personally I like Undying and Soldier of Fortune better, but if you like shooters, this is a must!