Paradise (Windows)

2.9
Written by  :  Robinet (42)
Written on  :  Nov 17, 2007

read more reviews by Robinet

Summary

buggy and boring

The Good

Is it any positive aspect in this game? In my opinion, no. If this was a free game made by some unknown team maybe it could be seen as a promising debut. But for Benoit Sokal it’s a huge step backwards.

The Bad

It’s far behind the mystery and the fantasy of the games Benoit Sokal used to make. Bad story, bad interface, bad implementation of the quests.

The Bottom Line

The story is about a girl that lost her memory in a plane crash. She is the daughter of a not-so loved king in troubled country. But she doesn’t know (of course, she lost her memory) so she is starting a journey to return to her home, that she’s convinced it’s in Europe. The action takes place in some country that makes me thinking of North Africa.

But this game is one of the worst games that I ever played. It’s well below the Syberia series. I enjoy more to play even nowadays a game like Kyrandia or King’s Quest (games about 10 years old) than this one.

First of all, the interface is so buggy that it’s hard to even play! The cursor should transform in various forms depending of the action that can be performed. But for pick-up, for example, if you are not pointing in the exact spot in a scene, you don’t know that you can pick-up an item. It’s difficult to point the girl to move in the desired direction, too. The gamer become some kind of human scanning device, to find if there isn’t something in a scene.

The game is poorly made in many aspects. For example, in a quest you must put water into a bowl. There are many water fountains and pools. Yeah, but you must click on a particular spot on a particular pool to put the water into the bowl. The dialogues are lacking depth and the fact that there is no humour makes the game quite boring. The quests are painfully linear: you must follow an exact path in all your actions. I find the graphics average. It’s an adventure game, not a real-time 3D action game, so I expected something more beautiful and detailed.

As for the story, it seems that the guy who wrote the scenario didn’t read it from the beginning to the end because many things do not make sense. One example: Why do they put an officer to guard a very large exit with no gate, which you can pass with no problem to go to the harbour, but he will ask you for a document to allow you to quit the town? And once you have the damn’ document nobody is looking at it.

Don't lose time with this one; there are older adventure games that provide more fun and better graphics.

The game lacks the testing, it’s full of bugs. It’s a shame that the french company Ubisoft put on market such a lousy product.