Prince of Persia 3D (Windows)

3.0
Written by  :  Brian Hirt (10014)
Written on  :  Feb 21, 2000

read more reviews by Brian Hirt

Summary

The worst game that I've played in ages.

The Good

There is nothing redeeming about this game. The biggest plus that Prince of Persia 3D has going for it is a well-groomed lineage; one that this game surely doesn't deserve to belong to.

The Bad

Two of my all-time favorite games are Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2. So naturally, I was excited when this game came out. However, now that I have purchased this one I feel cheated. POP3D has to be one of the WORST games I've ever played.

The load times on my PII 450 with a TNT2 video card and 192MB of memory are unbearable. The controls are overly complex and the character movements will truly frustrate anyone. Gone are the quick fluid movements that we all loved and in are slow clumbsy actions with poor transitions. The camera angles are never where you want (and need) them to be. Often the camera is behind a wall or in a wall. You will die constantly from this. Guards will sneak up in your blind spots. Jumps will be missed. The music and sound effects are truly unspectacular. The action is boring and the pace of the game is so sluggish that it puts me to sleep. I find nothing in this game that is in the spirit of the first two games. Jordan Mechner should be ashamed to have his name associated with this title. I've tried to play this game several times over the last 5 months. I've wanted to like this game. I've given it several chances; more chances than it deserved. But damnitt, I wanted to like this game.

The Bottom Line

Prince of Persia 3D is basically a game trying to cash in on the success of Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2. Instead of trying to make a sequel that is truely in the spirit of it's predecessors the marketing people decided to make a 3D action adventure game alla Tomb Raider. If you liked the original Prince of Persia, stay away from this game. If you liked what Sierra did with Kings Quest 8 -- give this game a try, you just might like it.