Resident Evil (Windows)

Written by  :  Terrence Bosky (5235)
Written on  :  Feb 07, 2001
Rating  :  3.71 Stars3.71 Stars3.71 Stars3.71 Stars3.71 Stars

read more reviews by Terrence Bosky

Summary

The King of Survival Horror

The Good

In spite of its flaws, Resident Evil remains one of those classic games. This port from the PS1, captures the essence of the original game. First off, Resident Evil is scary. Not so much in the second half, but the first half will have you creeping around corners. Great use of audio means that you faintly hear the shuffling of the undead mixed with their moans.

Resident Evil effectively uses camera angles too, I don't believe I ever found myself trapped. The design of the house and labs was terrific and the puzzles were pretty straight-forward.

Finally, I loved how the story was revealed by finding journal entries and multimedia presentations.

The Bad

1. Voice acting/dialogue. What were they thinking? Acting isn't bad, it's terrible. "Master of unpicking," "Jill sandwich." "Oh Barry."

2. The Second Half. The second half of the game is boring and repetitous, which is why you never hear anyone talk about it. Zombies, yes; dogs in the hallway, yes; gremlins, no.

The Bottom Line

Great survival horror game with B-movie plot and actors. If George Romero and Roger Corman had cybersex, the offspring would be this game. This port seems to be the "Director's Cut." Pixelated blood might not be for the squeamish.