Resident Evil (Windows)

Written by  :  woods01 (154)
Written on  :  Mar 28, 2001
Rating  :  3.57 Stars3.57 Stars3.57 Stars3.57 Stars3.57 Stars
read more reviews by woods01

Summary

Beware of mansions in the hills.

The Good

This is a chilling game. There are some definatly scary moments in this game. Remember when the lurker first sneaks up on you? Wow that freaked me out. Why here and not other games? Well this game has got that elusive element of atmosphere.

The plot is you are a member of S.T.A.R.S. an elite rescue team sent to investigate some strange goings on in small remote town. Things go bad and you end up trapped in an apparently empty mansion. As you explore the game you will unravel the mystery of the Umbrella Corp's experiments. While the story is pretty standard zombie movie stuff, it was presented well and was quite intriguing. The mansion is huge and interestingly designed so you will keep playing late at night just so you can find that next key.

I also loved the music and sound effects for the game. While the sounds were not the greatest ever, they worked for the game. I really enjoyed the music. The music in the kitchen made me totally paranoid!

The Bad

The acting is hilariously bad! In a way it enhances it as a computer version of the countless zombie movies that inspired the game.

As mentioned in another review, the second half is weak, previously safe areas now have enemies in them and since the combat is functional but not great, all the fighting is tiresome at that point.

While the game is a nice mix of adventuring gaming with real time combat. The puzzles are not that challenging. Console gamers aren't use to these type of games so they were probably a lot more challenged by it. But any old time computer adventure gamer will find the puzzles fairly obvious.

The Bottom Line

While I love the series, I have to admit that this was orginally done better in the first Alone in the Dark, which is game fans of this should check out.